Monday, September 7, 2009

"I Gotta Get That Recipe!" Dip

If you take it somewhere or serve it at home, the guests will probably ask you for this recipe--it's THAT good. In fact, the only reason I am able to share it with you is because I just HAD to get the recipe when a friend brought this dip to a work party. It has been a family favorite ever since. Thanks Julie!

1 lb HOT breakfast sausage (you could use regular but this gives it just a little kick)
8 oz. sour cream
8 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 chopped green onion
1 large bread loaf, hollowed out


Crumble and brown sausage. Add next 4 ingredients , reserving 1/2 c. cheese. Stir over low heat until all ingredients are incorporated and melted. Pour into bread bowl and top with remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with tortilla chips and bread chunks.


Tips:
  • If you don't want to do the "bread thing" then simply bake in a casserole dish.

  • I served this as a finger food at a brunch once. I sliced a baguette into 1/2" thick rounds, topped with a spoonful of sausage mixture and shredded cheese, then baked on 350 until the cheese was bubbly, about 15 minutes.


5 comments:

  1. I have something KIND of similar but that sounds way better - and in a bread bowl??? Hello! Bread Bowl is my middle name. Well, really it's Ann, but I think it should've been Bread Bowl. Thanks!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this Saturday to take to a friends house. I even printed out a copy to give to her cause I know she is gonna want one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it Saturday and it was yum-e! I liked it best with chips. I toasted the bread though and am think I shouldn't have. It would have been better softer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I usually toast the bread, too. You can brush it with olive oil and sprinkle chili powder (very lightly)before you toast and that is good. You might experiment with different kinds of bread also.Glad you tried and liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good. I just found your blog and I am enjoying finding so many wonderful recipes. I am sending my daughter to the grocery store right now to get the ingredients for this dip! My family is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete